Saturday, September 29, 2012

A Roundhead At A Roundhouse

Last Saturday I spent an enjoyable day at Model Rail Live which, for the third year running, was being held at Barrow Hill Roundhouse.

I've never been to a model rail show before (although as a child I remember seeing fixed layouts in a number of places) and so wasn't quite sure what to expect. I did know, however, that Model Rail Live like to distinguish themselves from other similar events by having real engines on show and in use as well as the models.

I wasn't surprised, therefore, when the first thing I actually saw was Britannia class 70013, Oliver Cromwell -- named, of course, after the most famous of Roundheads. The engine was built in 1951 and was removed from service on the last official day of steam on the British Rail network in 1968 when it was one of the engines to pull the Fifteen Guinea Special.

There were too many locomotives and layouts in many different gauges to cover them all in a single post, so expect a few more posts as I work through the photos.

5 comments:

  1. Where is Barrow Hill Roundhouse. Dad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just a few minutes outside of Chesterfield. They actually put on a special shuttle train from Chesterfield station to Barrow Hill so it was really easy to get there. It's quite a large site and reminds me quite a lot of Steamtown at Carnforth.

      Delete
  2. Every year we go to the international festival of railway modelling at Alexandra Palace, and it does have some wonderful stuff. But no real engines! Chesterfield is rather far away from here though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Chesterfield is definitely quite a trip from London. It's easy for me to get to from Sheffield, but I know that when I have to travel to London for work it can be an awfully long and tiring day (I did a lot of work at The National Archives at Kew earlier in the year so I had to make this trip a number of times and I definitely didn't enjoy the travelling)

      Delete
  3. I have a feeling that the Oliver Cromwell was a regular (or at least an engine I saw in Liverpool in my youth. Ah. Now I've looked up your link I see that she did work out of Liverpool. My memory may not be as bad as I think it is these days.

    ReplyDelete