So having realized that there were some problems with the design of the brass upper for the Rhosydd slate quarry rubbish wagon I'm building, I reworked the template and had a second go. This time the template took into account the extra width added by the thickness of the metal when folded, as well as being re-worked to make it easier to fold. This second template works really well and I was able to easily cut out and fold the brass to shape. A small amount of superglue and the whole thing was assembled; from sheet brass to assembled model was about five minutes.
Given that I was happy with how this one had turned out I decided to add the rivets that are quite prominent on the prototype. Amazingly the Archer rivet transfers (sheet AR88025) I bought for detailing the Quarry Hunslet are a perfect match with exactly the right spacing. The only problem is just how many rivets there are to apply to such a small model. I think I added 26 strips totalling 238 rivets, which took the best part of two hours to apply. Time well spent though as I think the end result looks great. The next step will be to spray it with a red oxide primer to fix the rivets in place and to give a nice rust coloured base coat.