Thursday, April 2, 2015

Dirty But Well Maintained

I've finally got around to painting up the body of the Hudson-Hunslet; I ran out of the crimson paint half way through hence the pause. While the etched parts didn't fit perfectly they fit well enough to give a good idea of how the final model will look. So here we are.


I went for a dirty but well maintained look, which I think I've pulled off reasonably well. I'm having a few issues with the pickups (replacement parts on order) so I won't subject you to a video this time. The artwork for the etches has been updated and sent off so hopefully I'll be able to build up another body shortly. Any suggestions for how I should paint that one? I've already had one vote for this colour scheme, although I notice that loco is quite the same model as this one.

4 comments:

  1. One thing immediately obvious from your photo is the couplings, which show up far better now the loco is painted. Couplings can, in my eyes, make or break a loco. Yours look superb, not only are they the correct type but functional as well. I have experimented with making that type in plasticard, but mine don't look as good as yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paul. They were almost as fiddly to model as the axle boxes but fortunately I had some good drawings to work from. I'd originally intended to include a slot right through them to fit a Greenwich coupling (the top gap is at the perfect height), but decided to go with the brass wire instead after seeing you do the same on some Hudson skip chassis. I'm glad I did as I think they really do look both right and unobtrusive.

      Delete
  2. All the hours of work have certainly been worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks superb and, let's be realistic, which loco in that situation would be perfect in real life?

    ReplyDelete