So for today's post I'm back working on my entry for the Dave Brewer challenge. The last time I posted about this I admitted that I'd made a mistake in interpreting the few photos I had by using I shaped beams when in fact they are C shaped in section. As well as showing me the correct girder shape, the photos Bobby kindly took for me also finally explained how the bridge was all held together.
In the previous photos I'd been using I could see that there were quite a few bolts in the side of the girders, but I couldn't see what, if anything, they were attached to. With the new photos though the answer is clear.
As I said with these photos the construction is nice and clear. Originally there were three U shaped plates bolted between the girders; one has broken off entirely and one is fairly close to coming loose. The missing plate explains why there appeared to be just thin air between the girders in the previous photos I was using. As well as the photos Bobby measured the plates as being 75cm long, 60cm wide, and 12cm deep making them easy(ish) to replicate.
Each plate is made from three pieces; a piece of 0.12mm brass sheet for the bit between the girders and a thin strip of 0.3mm styrene for the two side parts. I did think about making the entire plate out of brass but making it in three pieces was easier as I've drilled holes for all 36 bolts which I've made from 0.33mm nickel silver rod. What you don't see in the photos are the numerous jigs I also made to help cut the small strips of styrene, drill the holes, and hold things in position while it was all stuck together. There's almost as much modelling in the jigs as the bridge. Given my intention is to model the railway out of use I've also left off one of the panel sheets (but fitted the bolts) so that it will match the track I've already built. Hopefully the weather will be better tomorrow and I can wave some primer over it in the garden.