Saturday, April 8, 2017

Two Steps Forward...

As predicted back in November I've had very little time for modelling over the last six months. I have, however, managed to grab a few minutes to take two small steps forward on the Tallylyn model. The last time you saw the model on the blog I'd just fitted a lamp bracket to the rear cab sheet. Well I've now also added one to the smokebox, along with the smokebox door.


The smokebox door is a 3D printed replacement from the Narrow Planet detailing kit. The door isn't a perfect match for the time period I'm modelling (the door would have been smaller looking at photos) but it's close enough.


As you can see I've also made a start on painting the model. Only a very basic start though; primer from a rattle can on the separate body pieces. On the plus side this hasn't shown up too many areas that need any work before more painting can take place. So the next decsion is what colour am I painting it. I had wondered about going with a heavily weathered black, but I think I'll go with a heavily weathered dark green (so weathered as to be almost black) instead.

7 comments:

  1. Good to see progress. I have found a magical little paint supplier here. I take him a flake of paint and he matches it and pops it in an aerosol can. (Not the flake I get that back with a tiny piece of plastic with his mix on). I have also started getting his zinc and grey primers in small quantities as his aerosols have a much better spray pattern than Halfords and are half the price. Auto Paints Glenrothes. If you don't have one near then here are the contact words and music;
    Autopaint Fife Ltd
    Tel: 01592 630244
    Unit 4, Strathore Business Park, Southend, Thornton, Kirkcaldy, Fife, KY1 4EH.
    Tons of propellant in the cans so you can turn them upside down a dozen times to clear paint from the nozzle bit. Brilliant and friendly but I do still struggle to understand the Fifeish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Adrian, that shop sounds very useful if I want to match a paint to a prototype loco. Will store the details for future use.

      Delete
  2. Aa Adrian has already said, good to see some progress on your workbench.
    But, you are replacing that printed smokebox dart aren't you?! On paint, super dity dark green would suit it well I think. My own Skarloey sits in its box still.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Damn it. I'd just about convinced myself I could live with the smokebox dart, but having had a quick look at the model you are right it's got to go!

      Delete
    2. Sorry! But if you only just about convinced yourself, then you'd have regretted leaving it on later.

      Delete
    3. Yes, you've definitely stopped me from regretting it later. Not sure I have any in stock but need to order some other bits and pieces from Eileen's anyway.

      Delete
  3. Well I'm a bit late to the party but it's good to see the progress.

    ReplyDelete