Sunday, December 10, 2017

The Big Reveal

Having hinted at some modelling in a new scale for the last couple of weeks, the time has finally come for the big reveal. So without further ado we have a 16mm Hudson Skip locomotive that runs on 32mm gauge track.


The loco is built from a kit from I P Engineering that consists mostly of laser cut plywood, although the skip itself is an injection moulded piece. You should also be able to spot the hand brake wheel and clutch pedal from previous posts, plus two gear levers and some extra rivets (possibly more on those in a later post) that I've added to the basic model. All these bits were modelled on a drawing of a similar loco in issue 9 of Narrow Gauge and Industrial Railway Modelling REVIEW.

Unlike any other locomotive model I've built before this one is battery powered rather than being powered through the track. It's also why the skip looks over full as that's the smallest mound I could make and still hide the batteries and on/off and direction switches.



One of the advantages of battery power is that I don't need expensive track to run the loco on. In fact I can use track that is also made from lasercut plywood, specifically the Ezee range of track also from I P Engineering.

As I mentioned in an earlier post the aim of this little bit of modelling was to give me something I could do in the lounge after the little one was in bed but also to see how much I liked 16mm as a scale to work in without spending a lot of money. I think I've achieved that as (barring paints, glue, etc.) the loco, driving figure and track has cost me just £80 and I've had a lot of fun, and enjoyed scratch building details in this larger scale. Which just leaves the question.... will I be doing more 16mm scale modelling? At the moment I'm not sure. I don't have the space inside the house for much more than that temporary oval of track and I've not thought about modelling in the garden..... yet.

6 comments:

  1. No-one has built this model and written it up for Garden Rail yet, but the editor really likes this sort of thing...

    (The open door is phil.parker@warnersgroup.co.uk - Hint!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS. I see it's diesel. Could fix you up with a Lister diesel if you fancy going full size,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What on earth are you doing with a Lister? Not sure I'd have room to go the full 12" to the foot scale although.... let me go see how much space there is in the garage!

      Delete
  3. Have you seen what Matt Nunn is doing at https://www.harecroft.co.uk/ including officially sanctioned reworks of Brian Clarke's 16mm kits?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks James. I'd not heard of Harecroft before but if he's going to be doing reworkings of Brian's kits then I'm definitely interested.

      Delete