Friday, February 23, 2018

Gunpowder

After dipping my toes into modelling in OO6.5 gauge I decided to see if there was anything a bit more interesting I could model, that might also be usable in OO9 gauge. I didn't have to look far as the Royal Arsenal Railway had an interesting little gunpowder van, which sat on a very similar chassis to the transfer wagon. Mark Smither's book on the railway contains a couple of small photos and a drawing (although I discoverd that the drawing is wrong in a couple of important ways) and I managed to find a few photos of a surviving example which is now at the Conway Valley Railway Museum. Putting these together with the existing chassis model I managed to produce what I think is a really nice little model. First in OO6.5 gauge...


...and also in OO9 gauge.


Design wise the model is a bit of a departure from previous wagons I've designed as in the end I opted for a mixture of 3D printing and etched metal parts. The reason for this is that with the external framing there is no orientation you could print the model in that wouldn't result in support wax covering all the planks, which would likely result in a horrible surface and the plank gaps being obliterated.


The combination of 3D printing and etched parts works really well together on models like this and I'll certainly take this approach again on any similar models in the future.

There are a few issues to finalise but hopefully it shouldn't be long before complete kits for both the OO6.5 and the OO9 gauge versions are available via Narrow Planet, price yet to be confirmed but I'm sure I'll do another post when they do appear.

2 comments:

  1. Looks grand. A bronze hammer for the wheel tapper?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a fine looking van Mark.

    It's a construction system that'd work nicely for a Talyllyn (ex Corris) Brake van. Inexplicably there isn't a kit available for that prototype. And it must be the nicest little brake van ever made.

    It would also work well for all the many variations of the exRNAD brake vans now at Statfold.

    Needless to say I'd buy them.

    Tim

    ReplyDelete