Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Twenty-Four (Frosted Ultra Detail) Horses

Yesterday saw the arrival of yet another delivery from Shapeways. It was a nice large box so contains fodder for a number of posts, but I thought I'd start by showing you all the body for the Hudson-Hunslet 24HP diesel locomotive the render of which you've seen a few posts ago.

I'm really happy with how it has turned out. There are a few stepping lines on some of the large surfaces, but as there is no rivet detail this should be easy to clean up. Of course the body still needs quite a few parts before it is complete but these will be etched parts and I've yet to draw these up. I'm hoping I can use the same body with different etched parts to build a few different variants but we will have to see how that goes.

I was actually slightly surprised as to just how small the model is. I don't know why it surprised me; with a wheelbase of just 2' 10" (which scales out to 11.3mm) it was never going to be huge, but holding it brings home just how tiny it is. Next step will be to sort out a powered chassis for it. There were parts for this in the same order but I'm going to build the suspense and make you wait for another post to see how successful that is (hint, I don't know as I haven't built it yet).

6 comments:

  1. That looks rather good, and rather tempting! I look forward to seeing it with etched panelling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paul. I'm really happy with how the body has turned out but I'll probably hold off on doing the etched body parts until I've proved the chassis. Seems daft doing the work if it will never run.

      Delete
  2. I've built the KBScale kit for a similar loco in O14, which is about the size of a small 009 loco! So yes I can imagine it is very small. Nice looking print, watching with interest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael. I remember your build of the O14 version on your blog. If mine turns out half as good I'll be happy, especially as given it's size there is no way I can model as many details of the cab control as in the KBScale kit. I'm going to be holding off on doing anything more to the body until I get the chassis sorted, but hopefully I'll get there in the end.

      Delete
  3. This has brought me to the conclusion that I really wouldn't want to work at such a small scale. It's great looking at your photos because they are actually larger than life but for me the real thing needs to be larger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A bigger scale would be nice as it would allow even more details and less eye strain but.... it would require more space for a layout, something I don't currently have.

      Delete