Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Textured Water

So having said in the previous post that I was going to leave the water alone, I've gone ahead and changed my mind. After more thought I decided that the smooth surface was just way too smooth and almost any texture would be an improvement. So I took the approach that worked best in my experiments (a cotton wool bud to apply the Woodland Scenics Water Effects) and attacked the stream.


Once the water effects had cured I re-applied the extra details on the fall etc. and dry brushed on some ivory paint to highlight certain areas. It's not perfect but I think it looks a lot better than the very smooth surface. Hopefully you all agree?

2 comments:

  1. I didn't want to say anything about the last post as it seemed too smooth and with that tell-tale "edge" to it. There, I've said it, sorry Mark. This is a lot better and I think with some wisps of foam painted on it is going to look good. Water like this is the very hardest thing to model and I have rarely been successful...you are miles ahead of me here. Can we see a slightly different view please?? This is all very interesting, by the way, keep it up please :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I'm being honest I wasn't happy with the water when I wrote the previous post, but I just couldn't figure out how to do the surface in a way I was happy with. In the end it was only minutes after pressing publish that Bryony convinced me that any rippling would be better than the very flat surface. It did take me almost a day to pluck up the courage to actually do it though as I knew that if it went horribly wrong I might not have the time to fix it before the end of the month. Fortunately it seems to have worked well, although I'm now thinking that the fall isn't quite right either as the water should shoot out slightly before falling so another experiment is in progress. I'll make sure I include a couple of different angles on the next post.

      Delete