Saturday, June 25, 2022

HiFlier

Having got the chassis for Ivor to the stage where it rolls along the track, I wasn't entirely sure what to tackle next. This is complicated slightly because the step by step instructions (well series of photographs) don't include some elements of the build. Specifically they make no mention of motorising the model. This is because the kit doesn't contain a gearbox. The schematic view in the instructions suggests fitting a "Mashima 1015 or equivalent motor" vertically between the axles driving the front axle via a simple gearbox containing a single worm/gear arrangement. Unfortunately it doesn't make any suggestions as to where you might source such a gearbox.

After designing my own wheels I didn't fancy trying to design a gearbox myself (although I think I could probably have done so) so went hunting for an easy option I could buy. In the end found a gearbox from High Level Kits which seemed to be a good fit: specifically the HiFlier.
The photo shows the parts laid out ready for construction. As you might be able to spot this is a sligtly more complex gearbox than the one I described being shown in the instructions, and will place the motor horizontally inside the boiler instead of vertically. Given the good diagrams and measurements provided by High Level Kits for their gearboxes I'm fairly certain it should all fit, but it seemed sensible to make it up first so that if I do need to modify the body in anyway I can do that while I build it rather than afterwards.

So far all I've done is gently open out the holes in the etch to take the bearings and shafts, and gently reamed the bearings and final gear to fit the 1/8" axle I'm using -- the parts are designed for 1/8" axles but also point out that the parts are all designed as "finish-to-fit" so they all need opening out slightly to give a nice fit rather than being sloppy. So far so good, next step will be assembly and testing with the Mashima motor I bought (can't remember the size I went for but will measure it for a follow up post).

1 comment: