Thursday, June 30, 2022

We're Going To Need A Bigger Hole

As expected once I'd bolted the motor to the gearbox there was no way it would fit through the hole in the footplate, at least not when the gearbox was mounted on the axle as it was impossible to get the angle right, even with the gearbox free to rotate around the axle.

The solution was to use a jewllers piercing saw to lengthen the hole in the footplate by about 9mm at which point I could slide the parts together nicely. This was possible even with the gearbox held vertically with some masking tape; I still need to sort a more permanent way of holding it in place.
I know it's not the best of photos but hopefully you can see that the hole is longer now. You can also see that the motor shaft will certainly need shortening as currently it would protrude into the cab which would stop me fitting the body and chassis together. That means that as I expected a flywheel is probably out of the questions but we shall see exactly how much shorter it needs to be, once I've built the cab.

Just to prove that things do fit, here is a terrible video of me slotting the footplate over the motor and into place: it can't be that bad if I managed it one handed while holding the phone to film with the other hand!

1 comment: