Friday, March 28, 2014

A Whole Brass Band

I didn't think I'd have anything to write about today, because I've packed my modelling stuff away for the weekend as we are having family to stay. Fortunately the post brought something interesting for me to talk about.

Some of you may remember that one of the things that grabbed my attention at Barrow Hill last September was the Model Electronic Railway Group (MERG) stand. Having signed up not long after, I received my first journal just before Christmas and found it a fascinating read. While many if not most of the members have far more electronics knowledge than I do, I did notice a lack of articles around using the Arduino to control various aspects of a model railway, something I've been playing with for a while, and so I thought I'd write and submit an article.

In the end I submitted two articles both of which were accepted, and both of which appeared in the journal that arrived with today’s post. The first article explains how I produced the flickering flame effect for the mill on Jerusalem, which I've talked about on this blog before. The second, longer, article focused on how you would go from a prototype using a full Arduino to a cheaper standalone circuit which is probably of more general use (while this was a new article it drew heavily on what I wrote on one of my other blogs, here and here).

Sorry for this being a bit of a trumpet blowing post, normal service will resume after the weekend.

5 comments:

  1. You are quite right to blow the trumpet...it's lovely to see one's words in print, with the added feeling that someone else thinks they are worth publishing. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain. It's weird, as I've spent over a decade writing academic journal and conference articles, but I was more worried about what MERG would think about these two. I guess it's the fact that I've spent so long building up a reputation for my writing in one narrow field, that writing an article for something so different was a liberating but kind of odd feeling.

      Delete
  2. It's because you are kind Mark. One has to be really special to share what you have learnt at a vast expenditure of time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes. I'm with Adrian. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Adrian and GB, it's nice to see the articles in print but even nicer to hear people say well done. It's really difficult to know how well the articles were receive by the other members (the main problem with printed journals) so I definitely appreciate the comments.

    ReplyDelete