It's been an unusually productive day on the modelling front. Not only did I experiment with automatically controlling the track power, but I've also found the time to start on the build of the Brian Madge Quarry Hunslet kit that arrived a few days ago.
The first stage in building the kit is to assemble the basic drive unit from it's ten constituent parts (the photo below shows 11 parts as there is a spare drive belt). While the steps are all straightforward the small size of the unit (it's stood on a 1p piece in the right hand photo) makes this quite a fiddly task, but as you can see I got there in the end.
The paint job, especially on the wheels isn't particularly good, mostly as I did the painting before assembly (no point trying to do it after the pickups etc. are fitted) but then of course had to handle the item quite a lot. This isn't the end of the world though, as I can always touch up the paint and, more importantly, very little of what you can see will be visible on the final loco as the outside frames will hide the wheels etc. The important point of course is whether or not it works, and as you can see from this short video, it runs backwards and forwards really nicely (it's being controlled by the same circuit as described in this mornings post)