Friday, February 14, 2014

Waggons Roll!

Having finally returned from my work meeting (which incidentally has furnished me with photos for a future post) I thought I'd make a start on some rolling stock from the selection the postman delivered last week. As the powered chassis I need for the diesel locomotive hasn't arrived yet (it's apparently left Tokyo and is on it's way) I thought I'd start with the workman's open coach kit from Meridian Models.

This kit represents an open coach which ran as part of the workman's train from 1880 to 1957 at Penrhyn Quarry in Wales. While rolling stock such as this wouldn't have been common in a Yorkshire mill complex, I'm intending to use it when the layout runs as a modern industrial museum and it will be populated by smiling tourists. There aren't that many parts so hopefully it will go together fairly easily, especially as the mouldings look nice and crisp so there shouldn't be too much cleaning up required.

4 comments:

  1. I've recently built one as well (I must photograph it and put it on the blog), they are a nice little kit. I had to do a spot of filling on the corners, nothig major though. I added a little ballast by glueing lead strip (aquarium plant weight) under the middle seats where its not noticable. Its worth checking the back to back of the wheels, which look to be Parkside, Markits make a neat little gauge. Parkside wheels always seem to need adjusting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent, you've just answered a question I was going to ask in the next post! While trying to fit the wheels I managed to slide one of them along the axle. I've repositioned it using a set of digital callipers to check the back to back, but I really need a proper gauge, and I'd drawn a blank on a quick google search.

      Delete
  2. Digital calipers? I'll get my coat... out of my depth again. Incidentally, I note the prototype...I'm still hoping you will do a U turn and go all welsh quarry! (only playing devil's advocate, as I do think the scheme you have in mind sounds great!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to say I would have been perfectly happy buying a decent set of normal callipers, but when I tried I couldn't find any that I could actually try before buying, so I ended up with the digital set from Maplins. They aren't perfect (especially if the battery goes flat), but at least they are so much better than a ruler for measuring in awkward spots.

      Delete