Saturday, April 19, 2014

British Pathé

Last Thursday British Pathé released their entire archive of 85,000 newsreel films spanning the period 1896 to 1976, and uploaded them to YouTube. I'm sure this will be an interesting historical resource for many reasons, but from a quick look lere is plenty of interesting railway related footage.

For example, a quick search led me to two interesting films from 1926 and 1927 about the construction of the Romney, Hythe and Dymchurch Railway, a 1930 film showing the LNER Hush-Hush loco, and a 1962 film from Dinorwic Quarry.

Given where I grew up though, one of my favourites so far shows the early days of preservation on the Middleton Railway:

4 comments:

  1. At the risk of becoming a bore, they have two fab videos of Dorothea Quarry... full marks to British Pathe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't read that Pathé were doing that. There will be so much mining of information in the next few months.

    ReplyDelete