rivets to the door runners on the rear of the cab I decided I'd do something about the lack of rivets on the front buffer beam using the same approach; resin transfers from Archer.
Having looked at a few photos of both Dorothea (the prototype the kit is based on) and other locos in the same class there doesn't seem to be a common pattern to the rivet placement on the front buffer beam. Not only do the placements of the rivets vary between locos but they also appear to vary slightly over time on the same loco. Having said that in most cases there are rivets across the top of the buffer and at least one line of vertical rivets where the side frame attaches to the buffer, so I've used that as the basis for detailing the model.
Adding these rivets was a little more challenging than doing the door runners. The two sets of vertical rivets were easy as the parallel lines are part of the transfer sheet. The line across the top was a bit more tricky though as essentially I've used one rivet from eleven separate lines on the sheet. This means that there is no real gap between the rivets and the next in line so the piece I had to cut out was very very thin and fragile. In fact it took me three goes to get it right, which is a pity given how expensive the transfers are! I think it was well worth it though as it certainly adds more character to the front of the loco.