Sunday, April 13, 2014

Quarry Hunslet: The Cab

So having a bit of time for modelling today, I've turned my attention to the last major piece of the superstructure; the cab. This is made of 9 pieces of etched brass, and there are two different ways of assembling it. Essentially each wall is made up of two layers. The inner layer is the full thickness of the brass sheet and doesn't have any detailing. The outer layer is half-etched to give rivet detail etc. You can either assemble the four inner layers first or you can assemble the four sides first. I choose to assemble the inner layers and roof first.


In the left hand photo you can see the main walls and roof assembled, the second photo shows the half-etched detail outer layers, and finally you can see the cab resting in place on the footplate. The hardest part was shaping the roof as I don't currently own anything to help me roll the brass. In the end I used the shaft of a screw driver with the brass on my leg to shape it, which worked reasonably well, but I'm going to look into a tool for doing this easier before I build another kit.

There is a little bit of detailing to do before the cab is complete, but that will come in the next post, mostly as I have an excellent title for the post!

4 comments:

  1. You're not alone, I've also rolled brass roofs on my thigh, using the handle of my 3 sided scraper.
    Looking rather good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad it isn't just me then. It said to roll with an 8-10mm drill bit on a compressible surface and my thigh was the only thing I could come up with.

      Delete
  2. Looks good but it's still the attention to detail and painstaking patience that I admire most.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It does look good, super progress!. So, Havana cigars and loco cabs...

    ReplyDelete