Sunday, April 20, 2014

Quarry Hunslet: Now With Brass Knobs On!

So today's job was to fit the final detailing pieces to the locomotive; the handrails. I'd put this off as I had a feeling it might not be particularly easy to get all four handrail knobs in the right place so that the rails are both horizontal and at the same height on both sides of the saddle tank. I wasn't wrong as it's taken me a number of attempts to get it right.

I started by looking at a number of photographs and eventually spotted that the knobs were at the same height on the saddle tank as the rivets on the cab front. This made positioning the rear two knobs fairly easy. It also turned out that the 6mm masking tape I had to hand was a perfect fit between the bottom of the tank casting and the rivets. This meant, in theory, that I could lay a piece of tape along the length of the tank to get the right height for the front two knobs. After aligning the tape, I drilled the four holes and test fitted the knobs (these are the short handrail knobs from Eileen's Emporium) and brass wire for the rails themselves. The right hand side (as seen from the front) was pretty much spot on but the left side was terrible; somehow I'd ended up with the hole too far forward and too far down. I filled the hole with some Deluxe Materials Perfect Plastic Putty, waited for it to dry and then drilled a new hole in what I thought was a better spot. I'm not sure how, given how close the two holes were, but this time I was too far back and too far up. So the hole was filled again and then a third hole drilled. This one is much better, although not perfect, but by this point I was running out of casting to drill into so it will do.

I haven't glued the handrail knobs into place as it makes sense to do that after I've painted the tank, which also means I haven't finally trimmed the rails to the right length either, but the video should give you a pretty good sense of how it now looks.


As well as getting it to run further in each direction along the track (just for GB) the eagle eyed amongst you may notice that I've been at the Archer rivet transfers again. the whistle mounting bracket is now riveted to the cab front, if that isn't attention to detail then I don't know what is!

The only things now missing are the things I can't fit until it is painted; the reversing lever (which I can't fit until the cab is fixed in place), the whistle, and name and maker plates, which haven't yet arrived from Narrow Planet. This means the next step is to find a can of primer

7 comments:

  1. Almost there now!
    I can identify with your handrail problems, I had one on my Dapol Austerity which took several attempts to get right, like you I filled, drilled, filled etc. (its still wrong but enough is enough!).
    When reaching for the primer note that any red paintwork (bufferbeams etc.) is best applied over white primer, red being quite translucent. Apologies if you already know that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the primer tip. I was intending to go for Humbrol grey primer (it's number 1 in their range I believe) as that is what I've used before. From a test I did a few days ago the paint for the body work covers that fine, but I might do a test with the buffer beam colour before I spray the grey primer.

      Delete
  2. Looking really lovely. She even oscillates like a Hunslet...or should that be "hunting" :-) I have had the extreme good fortune to drive/fire Lilla, a couple of times back in the early 2000's and cleaned her and her big sisters Blanche and Linda more times than I can remember. The build quality on the real Lilla wasn't as good as your model, nor are the handrails quite level either...so don't beat yourself up too much! You've made a brilliant job...and a great idea to show progress in action.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the oscillating is actually caused by a slight issue I spotted yesterday. I had it sat on the windowsill next to my desk which is higher up to see if the angle helped to align the handrails. What I noticed was that she wasn't sitting perfectly flat. On examination it looks as if the wheels are ever so slightly out of line so she rocks a tiny bit on the diagonal. When she's sat on the track it's less obvious but I think the oscillating is related. Given the way the frames just rest on the axles I'm guessing it's not a problem with anything I've built but rather the 3D printed block being ever so slightly out of alignment. Nothing I can do about it now, but if I build another one it's something I'll check when the kit first arrives.

      Delete
    2. Mark, don't worry about the oscillating...I meant it as a compliment and I have the highest respect for your craftsmanship and the way you have tackled this. Given the trouble I am having with a 7mm scale one, I look at this little Hunslet of yours with great respect!

      Delete
  3. Thanks Mark. I was suitably impressed and mesmerised.

    ReplyDelete