Tuesday, June 10, 2014

RNAD Crew Van: Body

Having struggled slightly with building the simple underframe, building the body of the van was nice and straightforward.

The body is formed from two etched pieces as the door end is slightly narrower, so you essentially form two U shaped halves of slightly different widths which then join together. Further detailing then involves the hand rails at the sides of the door (etched pieces) and door handles (the etch contains a hole which I opened out slightly to take some brass wire).

Once completed the body then simply slides onto the underframe into two retaining slots which form the opposite ends of the seats to the parts I struggled with in the previous post. Next step is to form the roof and then it will be onto painting.

5 comments:

  1. Mark, you have me hooked I love the miniature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is a fantastic model and really easy to build. Maybe you could find home for a small diorama in the van? Something else to do when the weather is terrible?

      Delete
  2. There's something about this...it's really nice. I love the clean lines and the door, which looks as if it has a different finish? Nice job, Mark!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately the effect on the door is just the etching, once it was primed it looks the same as the rest, but I agree the nice clean lines are appealing, although how clean they will look when you see the painted version is another question entirely.

      Delete
  3. It does look rather good and nice and clean and I love watching what you are doing but I just can't imagine doing it myself.

    ReplyDelete