Sunday, June 28, 2015

3D Printed Wagons Printed in 2D

Some of you might remember that back in October last year I blogged about a model of the 3 sided breaker wagon from Trevor Quarry. Given that the drawings I used came from the sample issue of NG&IRM Review I thought it was worth writing the process up as an article for the magazine. I submitted the article late last year to favourable comments from the editor, Bob Barlow, and the article has now appeared in print in issue 102.

The issue was actually issued back at the end of April, but unfortunately due to a mistake at the printers, and Bob's untimely death, it has taken a while before I finally got my subscription copy. It's strange seeing the article in print as a few editorial changes have been made to it; not all of which I would necessarily agree with.

I publish articles fairly frequently in academic journals but in those cases whilst the editor may often request or suggest changes they never actually edit an article; the authors have the final say on the content. The audience of a modelling magazine and an scientific journal are very different and the different approaches are perfectly understandable and it clearly hasn't put me off as I already have an idea for another article.

5 comments:

  1. Congratulations.
    I would have thought that as a courtesy they would let you see the edited version. Bit naughty of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I'm not sure what usually happens, but on this occasion I guess Bob being as ill as he was the normal process probably went out the window.

      Delete
  2. It's a very enjoyable article- the sort of thing that makes NG&IRM Review rather special. Thank goodness it is to continue. I am pleased that you plan to write more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it, and thanks again for the initial pointer to the review. As far as I can tell (from the limited number I've read) it's by far the best source of well presented, good writing, about fantastic modelling. The only problem is I seem to have started to buy back issues, and there are a lot of them!

      Delete
    2. You are absolutely right, Mark, about the mag. I have an old friend who has every issue from dot and I can't keep asking him if I can borrow copies :-) I also subscribe to Bylines and have been trying to get hold of back-issues from Ebay...it's so full of the curious and obscure and has a lot of good research, but I now realise it's been going for quite a while :-)

      Delete