Monday, May 16, 2016


My work-life balance seems to be all over the place at the moment, and even when I'm at home modelling has ended up fairly low down the list of priorities, but I did find some time this weekend for a little bit of modelling, including a balance pipe!

Due to the chassis block the pipe had to be made in two pieces that put up against the chassis but once it's all painted I think it will do the job. I also added the small pipe from the saddle tank into the drivers side of the cab. This isn't on the prototype now, but is clear on old, pre-preservation photos. No idea what it does but I thought it was worth adding.

Not sure what detail will be next, although I'm still trying to figure out if there is any pipework across the boiler in front of the dome during the early years of the loco. None of the photos I've found are particularly helpful.


  1. I was wondering what had befallen you. Pesky business is work. The flange on the pipe really makes the job.

  2. Strangely (for someone with no personal interesting in modelling) I actually miss your posts and the progress being made which always fascinates me if for no reason other than the minute scale involved.

  3. Thanks both. Sorry for not replying earlier, but an e-mail issue meant I didn't get notified of the comments. Hopefully progress will pick up again soon.