Monday, July 23, 2018

Unlined Black?

I've now started on painting Canopus, and the question arises as to what colour it should be. The instructions suggest that at some point it had a striking livery of emerald green with red and yellow lining, but that it was also seen running in unlined black. I'm not sure I've got the patience for a complex lining job, and as I don't currently have a black loco, I think I'm going to go for a reasonably well weathered unlined black look.

Currently the chassis has been retouched by hand to cover damage to the original paintwork done before the wheels were permanently in place, and the body has been painted with red oxide primer and then matt black.


Even with an unlined black livery there is plenty of detail painting and weathering to do, but it's nice to be on the home straight now.

One interesting point about the black paint. In the past I've used Humbrol Matt Black (No. 33) from an aerosol can, but as I no longer have a convenient model shop (I do miss Antics in Sheffield) I can call into on my way home I had to buy the paint online. A quick look on Amazon and I was amazed to find that the Humbrol paint was costing £11.48 for 150ml (yes I know it's cheaper from other sellers but I have Prime so why pay for delivery or wait for ages for it to arrive). I had a look around and instead bought matt black from Hycote -- I use their red oxide primer which is excellent. Amazingly this comes as a 400ml spray can and costs just £5.09. Coverage seems to be excellent and it dried nice and quickly (as does the primer) so that's me happy.

4 comments:

  1. Looking good! Although its a pity that such a handsome engine ended up in plain black.
    I use Hycote primer as well, good stuff and available from the motor factors in town.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, annoyingly I'm not sure quite when it ended up plain black. The photo of it in use by the RAF seems to show some cab side lining, albeit fairly faint.

      Delete
    2. Mind you plain black makes a change from the bright hazard yellow of the Clayton build so...

      Delete
  2. Autopaint stuff is excellent. They are based in Southend but have local depots. I think this will look good with a little wear added to lift detail.

    ReplyDelete