Thursday, June 18, 2020

Alan Keef K12 Diesel: A Duplo Epilogue

As I mentioned in a previous post, my son loves playing with his Duplo. While his nursery was closed and I was looking after him we did quite a few of the challenges Lego posted on Twitter. Unsurprisingly trains came up a few times and it wasn't difficult to get him to build something.

On one occasions though, when I told him the challenge was a locomotive his answer was that he wanted to "build one like you did in the magazine". He was of course referring to the K12 diesel locomotive. He'd probably been reminded of it, because a day or so earlier the latest copy of the REVIEW had turned up and we had looked at it together, and the inside of the front cover was a full page Narrow Planet advert which included a photo of my completed model.

So we got the Duplo out and looked at the picture. Now I was a little concerned because I wasn't sure how he was going to do the wasp stripes. I shouldn't have worried though as he was adamant he wasn't going to add them. Which is fine of course because, as you may remember, only AK6 was fitted with the extra protection back and front onto which the wasp stripes are painted.

He started quite logically by finding all the orange Duplo pieces he has and then started to put them together. To say I had a very proud parent moment when he finished would be a serious understatement. Posed next to one of my prototype models that doesn't have the wasp stripes and I was very very impressed.


Okay, so I'm sure if he'd wanted to he could have built a better locomotive from his Duplo, but given the relative lack of orange pieces he had and the size of the pieces I think he did an excellent job. I think we're going to have a lot of fun doing modelling projects together when he's a little older.

1 comment: