Sunday, August 5, 2012

Wagons In Black Satin

Having now reached the end (sorry I'll stop with the bad puns... honest) I thought I'd show you the completed wagon. As you can see it's had transfers applied, been varnished and had couplings fitted since you last saw it.

A plain wagon would have been boring so I knew I would want to add transfers but I also knew that I wanted it to represent a wagon from somewhere reasonably local. Fortunately Modelmaster produce a wide range of transfers for private owner coal wagons so there were quite a few local options to choose from. I picked Lofthouse Colliery simply because it recommended applying them to an all black wagon, which, as I mentioned before, simplified the painting. The transfers were easy to use although I'm not entirely happy with how they went on. The raised areas of the wagon tended, in some places, to trap air which I couldn't remove no matter how hard I tried.

The final step (other than sticking on the couplings which is the work of a moment) involved varnishing. Varnishing serves two purposes. First it protects the paint and transfers from wearing off when the model is handled, but it also reduces the shiny surface left from the gloss paint (which is needed to help the transfers stick properly). As with the primer and paint I used an aerosol of Humbrol satin varnish. Whilst it was easy to apply (easier than the paint anyway), I'm a little disappointed that in a few places it has left little white dots. It's unclear exactly what has caused this although a little research on the web suggests that I may not have had the varnish warm enough and well mixed.

I'm fairly happy with the result and I've learnt a few things which I can apply to the next model I build and paint. I have an 8 plank, 12 ton coal wagon (also from Parkside Dundas) that I'm in the process of putting together. This will be a slightly more complex project as it won't be painted black.

7 comments:

  1. You do know that your Great Great Gradfather and also your Great Gradfather both worked at the Lofthouse pit.So you have a family connection to the coach as well. Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. It should read Great Great Grandfather & Great Grandfather. Dad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You finally commented on one of my posts! Honestly I have to admit to having forgotten that entirely, sorry. I really was just looking for something local I could model. Now of course I'm going to have to think about doing it again and making it perfect (once I've had some more practice of course).

      Delete
  3. The whole purpose of this model was to practice and it seems to me that the result has been excellent. All the more so as it's a first attempt. In any case the original would not have been perfect either. It was, after all, a working coal wagon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, especially for a first attempt.

      Delete
  4. If you pop the spray can or paint in hot water it sprays better and also drys much faster.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For the new static model I'm building I have been doing just that, and you're right it makes a huge difference. I still think I'll need to invest in a airbrush at some point but for now the results are better than before.

      Delete