Friday, July 22, 2022

Handrail Jig

I hate making up handrails. It's not too bad if they are straight and attach to the locomotive via handrail knobs, but if you have to bend the wire at each end to fit into holes it's a complete nightmare. Previously I've done it by eye and ended up making a bunch before I get one that is just right. Some kits will proivide a jig (often just two correctly spaced cutouts on the edge of the fret of edged parts) to make life easier, but no such luck with this kit.

For Ivor I need to make up three rails. For now I'm ignoring the complex curved rail around the smokebox and am concentrating instead on the other two which are at the front of the cab to help Jones the Steam climb up into Ivor. Instead of struggling I thought I'd make up a quick jig so I could make two idenitcal rails, one for each side of the loco. I'm sure for many people reading this the idea won't be novel or exciting but I thought I might as well document it anyway.... if for no other reason so I remember the approach for next time!

First step was to stick a strip of masking tape down the side of the cab over both holes. I then used a 0.5mm drill bit to pierce two small holes inthe tape.
The masking tape was then carefully transfered to a piece of thin plastic strip and the 0.5mm drill used to make two holes.
I then removed the tape and cut a V shapped notch from the end of the stip down to one of the holes. This completes the jig showing just how easy it was to make.
To make a handrail I started by putting a 90 degree bend into a short length of 0.5mm brass rod
The short end of the bent rod was then pushed through the hole in the jig and flat nosed pliers were used to grip the other end, making sure to hold it tight just shy of the hole.
The wire was then bent through the notch into the hole to give the second 90 degree bend against the pliers.
The completed handrail can then be easily removed from the jig.
And the most important bit, it fits perfectly into the holes on the locomotive.
I still have to attach the handrails to the loco but that is usually trivial in comparison to making them up.

No comments:

Post a Comment